Tom practices primarily in the areas of insurance coverage advice and litigation, products liability litigation, and appeals. Tom’s insurance coverage practice involves advising a number of insurance company clients concerning potential insurance coverage for particular losses. He has also been involved in litigating a number of insurance coverage declaratory judgment actions, including obtaining favorable rulings at the summary judgment stage and obtaining favorable verdicts following trial.
Tom also regularly represents and advises a number of corporate clients related to product liability claims involving toxic torts, primarily concerning asbestos, both locally and nationally. Tom has successfully obtained voluntary dismissals for clients, summary judgment rulings in favor or his clients, and has effectively leveraged a number of cases for settlement. Tom also works with clients and in-house counsel to develop national defense programs and strategies for all phases of litigation, and assists with the coordination of local counsel in a number of different jurisdictions.
Tom has handled the briefing and argument of numerous appeals involving diverse areas of the law and legal issues. He has briefed and argued appellate cases at the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, the Iowa Supreme Court, and the Iowa Court of Appeals. Representative cases include:
• Michigan Millers Mutual Ins. Co. v. Asoyia, 793 F.3d 872 (8th Cir. 2015).
• Sanon v. City of Pella, 865 N.W.2d 506 (Iowa 2015).
• Berkey v. City of Mingo, No. 12-1782, 2013 WL 5743646 (Iowa Ct. App. Oct. 23, 2013).
• Earlham Savings Bank v. Morrell, No. 12-1818, 2013 WL 3457739 (Iowa Ct. App. July 10, 2013).
• Smith v. HD Supply Water Works, Inc., No. 10-1459, 2011 WL 6655356 (Iowa Ct. App. Dec. 21, 2011).
• West Realty, Inc. v. Fox, No. 08-0922, 2009 WL 1676155 (Iowa Ct. App. June 17, 2009).
• Barnett ex rel. Estate of Barnett v. Wimer, No. 07-1309, 2008 WL 2200242 (Iowa Ct. App. May 29, 2008).
Tom was a judicial law clerk for Chief Judge Rosemary Sackett of the Iowa Court of Appeals for two years from 2004 to 2006, before joining the Bradshaw Law Firm.
Iowa State University (B.A., 2001)
University of Oregon, School of Law (J.D., 2004)
American Bar Association
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
October 23, 2013 - Bradshaw Attorneys Jason C. Palmer and Thomas M. Boes Successful on Appeal
© 2018 Bradshaw, Fowler, Proctor & Fairgrave, P.C.